Common client questions:
What exactly will Simone do?
Take a full medical history.
Analyze your movement patterns: Look at the way you sit, stand, and move to see if how you move in your daily life may be making symptoms worse.
Watch how you breathe: Breathing is directly related to the pain and stress response, as well as anxiety, inflammation, hyperacidity, blood pressure, blood sugar, and fat metabolism. Simply changing the way you breathe can help reduce symptoms and/or reverse some conditions.
Help you self reflect: Many things can affect an illness or injury. Sometimes a toxic work environment, unhealthy eating or sleeping habits, or troubled relationships can exacerbate symptoms. Simone will discuss approaches to change these from a yogic perspective.
Build a care plan with you: You and Simone Palmieri, C-IAYT, will build a plan together based on your goals, that will move you toward your most positive wellbeing. Your care plan will be emailed to you, or printed out for you to keep. Please see Sample care plans
Do I have to be flexible or be able to move without pain?
• No. You will learn to use equipment such as bolsters, blocks and blankets to allow all bodies to do therapeutic poses.
What if I am not religious or spiritual?
• You do not have to be religious or spiritual to benefit from yoga therapy. The yoga philosophy that Simone refers to in sessions is applicable to people of all faith traditions. However, you have the option not to discuss your religous or spiritual beliefs at all and use the other yogic techniques, such as lifestyle management or breathing and poses.
Will I have to practice every day?
• Yoga is a dose-specific therapy. The more you practice, the more positive the effect.
How often will we meet?
• You will have the option to meet with Simone anywhere from three times per week to three times a year, depending on your needs. The goal will be to develop a care plan that you can maintain by yourself at home, and meet whenever you feel you need to adjust the plan. Some people prefer to meet with Simone regularly to keep themselves accountable.
Do I need special clothes?
• You can wear anything that allows you to move comfortably.
What if I am home bound?
• Sessions can be held in your home. Online sessions are available if you are not within driving distance.
How long will it take for the yoga to help me?
• Healing through yoga is a gradual and individual process. Some people feel better after the first session, and others take longer to notice a change in their health.
Will I have to stop seeing my doctor or give up my medications?
• No. In fact, Simone can consult with with your health care providers to make sure that your yoga therapy fits in well with your current care. She does not recommend substituting yoga therapy for any conventional medical care.
How much does it cost?
• Single 60 minute sessions are $100, and $20 for each additional half hour. A package of four sessions at $360 can be used within 10 weeks.
Do you take insurance?
• Not at this time. Some doctors are willing to write a "super bill," although some insurance companies do not allow the yoga therapist to take 60 minutes to attend to your needs. Ask your health care provider.
What if I cannot afford it?
• Note everyone can afford yoga therapy sessions. Simone offers "functional group" sessions, where a group of people (limited to 4) can attend together. Sessions are $100 for 60 minutes, with a $10 additional charge for each person. People should have the same or similar health conditions.